Choosing a Surgeon
Choosing a Surgeon - Houston, TX
The demand for cosmetic surgery is rapidly growing, and many doctors are trying their best to supply this type of specialty that has become a top practice in modern day medicine. The title of cosmetic surgeon could be used by any licensed physician, and that is why it is imperative to find one that is trained and certified by the proper organization.
The first step to finding the right doctor would be making sure that they are a part of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). This organization was founded in 1931, and ASPS is known worldwide as the largest plastic surgery organization to exist. All ASPS Member Surgeons have been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
This is the only dedicated plastic surgery board that places an emphasis on the face and body as well. The requirement for each member surgeon is that they have at least five years of training in the surgical field, and two of the years have to be specifically for plastic surgery, which other specialty organizations do not require.
- All ASPS member surgeons:
- Are certified by either the American Board of Plastic surgery or The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Have completed five years or more of general surgery with a combined minimum of two years of training in plastic surgery
- Can only perform operations in medical facilities that are accredited
- Have a strict code of ethics that they must adhere to
- Are required to perform continuing medical education, which includes patient safety standards and innovations