The Difference Between Buttock Augmentation and a Brazilian Butt Lift
Many of our patients ask us questions regarding having a Brazilian butt lift vs implants. This is understandable — though the two procedures are distinct, they deliver similar results to the same body part. However, this is where most of the similarities end.
When learning the intricacies of BBL vs implants, it’s important to keep one thing in mind: these are two very different procedures that require different surgical techniques. Both procedures involve injecting a substance into the buttocks to increase volume, but what is injected varies between treatments.
What is a Brazilian Butt Lift?
With a Brazilian butt lift, the substance injected is harvested from the patient’s own body through liposuction. In recent years, we’ve found that a number of our patients are choosing a Brazilian butt lift over a traditional augmentation surgery. This is for a number of reasons, the most significant being that the procedure uses fat from one’s own body. This lends additional peace of mind to many when it comes to safety, as this type of procedure holds fewer risks of infection compared to augmentations that rely on foreign substances like silicon. Both procedures are considered safe, but this may factor into the decision for some patients.
What Are Butt Implants?
On the other hand, a butt implant (or buttock augmentation) relies on a manmade implant, like silicon to create more volume in the butt. This procedure is carried out by creating a surgical incision in the patient’s buttocks and inserting an artificial implant. Slimmer patients who do not have enough body fat for a Brazilian butt lift may opt for this procedure.
In general, to ensure a safe and low-risk buttock enhancing procedure, whether it’s a lift or augmentation, it is crucial that you work with a reputable, experienced surgeon who has been board certified. Underground or unlicensed procedures are always dangerous, regardless of how low-risk the surgery typically may be.
Isn’t A Brazilian Butt Lift the Same as Buttock Augmentation?
You might assume that a butt lift and a butt augmentation are the same, but that’s not the case. They are similar, and they both deliver fantastic results, but the procedures are different. As a result, the decision to get a Brazilian butt lift vs butt implants will depend on personal preference and desired outcome.
The Brazilian butt lift is unique in that it offers patients what we call a “two-for-one” surgery. This is because, though the Brazilian butt lift comes under one title, it actually involves two separate procedures. During a BBL, the patient will undergo liposuction from an area which has fat to spare. This will depend on the patient — typical areas tend to be the thighs, chin, back, stomach, sides, arms, or “love handles.” Following the procedure, patients can expect a more sculpted body in the areas where fat was drawn from and added volume and contouring from the butt lift.
What’s the Difference Between BBL and Implants, Recovery-Wise?
Recovery for these two procedures have some differences.
When recovering from a Brazilian Butt Lift:
- Immediately following your procedure, your surgeon will provide you with a compression garment; this will facilitate your healing process. Swelling and bruising at the treatment site is expected and normal.
- During your recovery, your surgeon may recommend that you use a specialized cushion to protect your buttocks while sitting. However, in the 2–6 weeks following your procedure, most professionals recommend that patients spend as little time possible sitting down, and to sleep and rest on the stomach instead. Until fully healed, it’s best to put as little pressure on the buttocks as possible.
- After one or two months, you will be able to return to work and your other daily activities. After about three months, you will be fully healed and have visible results.
When recovering from Buttock Augmentation Surgery:
- With a butt implant surgery, the first two weeks will require you to stay off your buttocks entirely.
- It will take about six weeks for bruising and swelling to go down. After this time, you will likely be able to exercise again.
- At this point, you will also see results and experience a “settling” of your implant, meaning it will be softer and appear more natural.
If You’re In Houston and Interested in a BBL, Schedule a Consultation Today!
If you desire a Brazlian butt lift, our team at Look Younger is here to support you. Our lead physician, Dr. Leo Lapuerta, is a triple-board certified plastic surgeon with over twenty years experience and thousands of aesthetic procedures under his belt. If a Brazilian butt lift sounds like the procedure for you, give us a call at (713) 489-0169, or drop us a line on our website. We’ll bring you into our facility for a free consultation, where you can have a discreet conversation with Dr. Lapuerta about your options, and how to proceed with this exciting journey. We can’t wait to meet you!